Logs for the week of 01 June 2021
New books to read and craft. Yes!
- Karakuri: How to Make Mechanical Paper Models That Move
- I was always fascinated about mechanisms and workings of toys. This looks to be the best way to rediscover that childhood curiosity. Paper toys! Ahoy.
- Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents
- Last year, I came across BOTY and they have pretty good collection of books. I was able to get this book for a pretty good $5.99. BOTY is worth it if you read fiction. So, I unsubscribed.
- To connect the dots, I’m always reminded of this specific thing that Yuval Noah Harari talks in his magnum opus Sapiens, that humans inherently look the world in terms of you and me, superior vs inferior, and likewise. Pressing the same nerve, Yuval doesn’t shy away from being a little sarcastic about human naming their species - Homo sapiens a.k.a. The wise man. Caste / Social division to me is just another manifestation of this selfish gene.
- Invent and Wander: The Collected Writings of Jeff Bezos
- Well, I am a fan of Jeff Bezos’ writings and interviews. This book binds together some of his good pieces. Looking forward to read this as I order a pair of running socks from Amazon.
Trying a few new culinary things
- Longjing green tea
- I was actually looking for some matcha to add to my smoothies. But, ended up buying this for a change.
- Califia Farms Mocha Cold Brew
- I’m not a big coffee fan, but this stuff is so delicious
- Made my banana shakes a little more interesting 🍌
- Oreo Cookie Popcorn
- Well, what the heck
- Too sugary to enjoy but still 3/5 good.
Went for my first run in a loooooong while 🏃🏻♂️
- I’m using Nike Run club app and I must say it’s good for beginners.
- Run to finish. Keep your pace slow, and don’t look at the stopwatch.
- I didn’t expect that running would be so much more taxing than running on my indoor cycle. These are two VERY different things.
- To find the right shoe, I went to Dick’s Sporting Goods for a very basic gait analysis. Found out that I’ve a low arch and chose a pair.
- I loved running. Looking forward to many more strides.
- Raw nerve by Aaron Swartz
- Aaron wrote these pieces 8 years ago.
- Developers mentoring other developers by Gergely Orosz
- Pretty good advice on how to develop the mentor-mentee relationship
- Charles University, Czech Republic - Deep learning course
- Good coverage of topics